The Castle Chiaramonte of Siculiana, situated in thehomonymous town, is a rich and splendid architectural monument. It was built on the top of a headland, probably seat of the ancient cena. The castle dominated, with its towers, the village and the valley that lies gently on the Mediterranean sea.
The origin of the fortress is Arab. The ancient arab castle was rebuilt in 13140, by order of Federico Chiaramonte. In 1311 Costanza, Federico Chiaramonte’s only daughter, celebrated in the castle her second mariage. Her husband was the noble from Genoa Brancaleone Doria, who became Governor of Sardinia in 1335. Many mariages and noble agreements were celebrated in the castle, due to its splendor and to the belief that any celebration that took place on the “Rock of Siculiana”, was blessed. In the late years of the XIV century, in the centre of “Piazza d’Armi”, a deep cistern was bored to gather and conserve rain water for daily use. A precious resource in case of siege, which you can still admire today. The Church of St. Lorenzo, in the south wing of the castle, is the most ancient of Siculiana, built during the XVII century. here, began the cult of the St. Crucifix, which is kept in the homonymous sanctuary. During the ages, the castle became a prison. The last Baron of Siculiana was AntonioPerez. In the early years of the XX century, the Baron agnello ordered the destruction of the “Forth Noble”, the most important artistic and historical part of the castle, to build a luxurious residence for himself. In this residence, Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, one of the most important writers of the 900s, was Agnallo’s guest. Many think that during his stay, he wrote the last pages of his masterpiece “The gattopardo”.